I noticed the drop cloth curtain trend about a year ago. I loved the idea, but wasn’t ready to begin thinking about curtains for our home.
Earlier this summer, my parents offered to give us their old couch accompanied by some really cool pillows. It became a “if you give a mouse a cookie” scenario. Once I got that couch, we needed curtains in the study. Not just the study, but also the den. I was inspired again by drop cloth curtains at my grandmother’s beach house. I began researching and found that they were a perfect option for the space. Then it became a race to finish them before the wedding shower I was hosting.
For the study, I decided to do an ombre technique. The darkest part would match the pillows and the lightest part would match the natural curtains in the den. We spent a Sunday afternoon experimenting and cracking up over my craziness. Poor Ryan got caught up in my whirlwind as he always does. We didn’t take many photos because I didn’t have a plan or know what I was doing at all.
We mixed the dye according to the directions on the bottle and kind of followed the ombre directions on their site. Because the curtains were larger than a piece of clothing, we folded it in fourths long ways. We used pins to divide the length of the curtains into fourths so there would be even amounts of each degree of color.After the color part of the process, we used the hose to get the excess dye out of the fabric before we put it in the washing machine.
To finish the curtains, I cut them in half and stitched the open side of each panel. They ended up being longer than I wanted, so I folded them over to make a flap then used clips to hang them. These were a breeze and add just the right amount of pizzaz to the study.
I have always loved this couch and was thrilled to have it in my home! It makes the space feel like its own room.
The other curtains were not as simple. The den has several more windows and we decided to stencil the drop cloths. There are several DIY instructions for these so I took advice from several along with specific measurements from my cousin Millie who just finished making some for her dorm room at WKU.
I used a Martha Stewart stencil from Michael’s. It was the same one my grandmother used on her curtains so I had confidence that they would look great. They were more time consuming than I imagined so we broke it up over several days.
I really love how these turned out. It is amazing how much more pride we have since we made them ourselves.
Between all the hardware, paint and drop cloths, we spent less than $100 for curtains in both rooms.
Since our grand curtain project at the end of July, we have housed 16 or so folks at our house, handed out 4,000 yearbooks, been to two weddings, moved a friend out of a storage unit, moved Millie into the dorm at WKU, played several games of Nertz and have enjoyed everything in between. August was a whirlwind and I can’t believe it has already come and gone. I hope to be a more faithful blogger soon!