I plan to be back to be blogging soon! The end of the summer has been so busy and there is lots to catch up on. In the meantime, here is a recipe that should be added to your menu as soon as possible.
- 4 cups fat-free, less sodium chicken broth
- 3 cups (1-inch) sliced asparagus
- 1/2 pound peeled and deveined medium shrimp
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup Arborio rice
- 1/4 cup dry vermouth (I used white wine)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup grated fresh parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Bring broth to a simmer in a medium saucepan (do not boil). Keep warm over low heat.
- Cook asparagus in boiling water for 3 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain and rinse with cold water; drain.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion; sauté 5 minutes or until tender, stirring frequently. Add rice; cook 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Stir in 1 cup broth; cook 5 minutes or until the liquid is nearly absorbed, stirring frequently. Stir in 1/2 cup broth, vermouth (or wine) and salt. Add remaining broth, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring frequently until each portion of broth is absorbed before adding the next (about 25 minutes). Add asparagus and shrimp; cook 4 minutes. Stir in cheese and remaining ingredients.