This month for the Leftover Club I was paired with Sandra from Meadows Cooks Healthy Recipes. She made some cute little Brown Butter Oatmeal cookies. I am going to have to make these at home soon! I can’t imagine how delish they would be right out of the oven.
I was having a hard time deciding what to make this month and was talking with my coworker about it at lunch yesterday. She asked what my mom used to make around Easter. I remembered these delicious cookies that we always had at the beginning of spring – Mint Chip Meringue Cookies. The recipe is a little temperamental and mine are not as pretty as my mom’s, but they are tasty. The outside has a nice crunch while the inside is really soft.
Mint Chip Meringue Cookies
Recipe from Julie Hill
Makes 36 cookies
- 2 egg whites
- Dash of Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 3/4 cup of sugar
- 1 small package chocolate chips
- 1/2 teaspoon peppermint flavoring
- A few drops of green food coloring
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees for 1/2 hour.
- Beat egg whites, salt and cream of tartar until frothy.
- Gradually add sugar and beat for 15 minutes.
- Fold in chocolate chips, peppermint and green food coloring.
- Turn off oven.
- Put mixture on ungreased cookie sheet in big spoonfuls and place in oven for 1 1/2 hour. Don’t open oven door during cooking time!
For a variation, omit peppermint and food coloring. Then add 1 teaspoon vanilla and 1/4 cup chopped nuts to remaining ingredients.