The last decision left to be made for the laundry room renovation was the light fixture. Ryan asked me to find something I liked on Friday so we could buy it and put it up. I decided I wanted something a little bit different for the space. I typed in “laundry room light” on Pinterest and found this. It was a perfect solution to put the final touch on the quirky room.
Chicken Wire- Home Depot $5(ish)
A Pendant Light Kit- Home Depot $14
Craft Wire- Hobby Lobby $3
Clothes Pins- Hobby Lobby the first time, Walmart the 2nd. I used almost 300.
Wire Cutters- stolen from our Handy Man’s Tool Bucket
1. First mold the wire to be the shape you are wanting your shade to be. The tutorial I used made theirs cone shaped, but I wanted a straight cylinder. Cut the wire to size.
2. Overlap the chicken wire and reinforce with the craft wire. This is where Ryan was really helpful. This stuff is sharp and hard to mold.
3. Hang the light kit. Thank you Matt for being at our house at just the right time to help with this project!
4. Then take a look at another lamp shades. Figure out the size of the circle that the light kit needs and try to replicate a your other shade using wire. Make sure it fits before you start attaching the clothes pins.
5. Start arranging them in a pattern around the drum. I would suggest that you do it while the shade is off.
And it is done! What do you think of our quirky lamp shade?