Upholstered Headboard DIY Project

25 Feb

When we were in Memphis for Christmas, we found a beautiful headboard at the Pottery Barn Outlet.  It was on sale for $300…. not a good enough sale for us! My mom and grandmother mentioned that we should try making our own. We finally got the chance this week!

After doing lots of research on Pinterest, I fell in love with these looks for the room:

Ryan painted the room navy when I was in Birmingham last weekend. After seeing how much of a difference the new color made, I was so excited to see the headboard with it.
We found this tutorial and got started!
Supplies:
– 48 inch x 50 inch particle board
– 2 yards of upholstery fabric
– 2 yards of batting (mine was 90″ so we were able to fold it over twice. You could use more layers if you wanted it more puffy)
– a long needle
– a button making kit
– a staple gun
– thread
– a sharpie
– measuring tape
– a drill
Getting everything was the hardest part for us. It was pretty difficult to fit that board in my car so we had to drive from Home Depot to our house with the back open…. It turns out that the guy cut the board a foot longer than it should have been (probably the foot that made it impossible to close the back!)
1. First, mark up your particle board. It is important to figure out how many buttons you want and the distance between each of them. We mapped it our with a sharpie and a measuring tape so it would all be even. We decided on 10 buttons total. We marked a line in the middle, then the quarters, then in between those going horizontal. Then we went 7 inches down going vertically. Where those lines intersect is where you have a button. Then Ryan drilled 2 holes for each button. You need both so you will be able to tie the thread on the backside once the fabric is all attached. 
2. Then get the batting just right and staple it to the backside of the board. This is a 2 man job. I held the board in place while Ryan secured it with the staples. Holding it vertical while stapling was better in the long run so we could make sure it was nice and tight.
3. I was really excited about making the buttons, so we did that next. The kit makes it pretty easy. I had only made buttons once before with my mom so I wasn’t positive that I could do it, but the instructions make it simple.
4. Repeat the batting step with the fabric. Once we had secured 2 of the sides, I was a little worried because it was still looking wrinkled. We used our iron to get the wrinkles out while we still had a chance. You want the fabric as tight as you can get it.
5. Lastly, sew on the buttons. It was a little tricky to find the hole once you have come through the fabric side, but Ryan was really good at it!
I was so pleased with the way it turned out that I wanted to see it behind the bed. Some time soon, we are going to get a bed frame and then end up raising the headboard a little.
I am really loving the way it turned out!
Advertisements

2 Responses to “Upholstered Headboard DIY Project”

  1. Su Madre February 25, 2012 at 2:34 pm #

    I think you and Ryan are so brave. Nothing seems to much for you two! I love that you are such DYI champs. It so fun to see how you are making your house truly YOUR home. Keep up the great work! Love y’all.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

  1. House Update: The Guest Room « - March 17, 2012

    […] painted it the weekend I was in Birmingham. The color is called Hale Navy by Benjamin Moore. Go here to see the inspiration for the room and the headboard tutorial. We bought curtains, a dust ruffle, […]

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: